Churches of Keene NH
Image by Keene and Cheshire County (NH) Historical Photos
Churches of Keene NH (from Keene Illustrated – 60 Views)
French, J.A., Keene NH
Buildings – NH – Keene
Churches – NH – Keene
Tracings made from photographs by J. (Jotham) A. French of scenes of Keene New Hampshire.
"This is emphatically a page of churches, four of wood, three of brick and one of stone. The First Congregational and the oldest of the group, stands at the head of the Square and was built in 1785 and remodeled in 1859. For fifty years Rev. Z.S. Barstow D.D., a man of marked ability and influence, occupied the pulpit of this venerable church.
The Unitarian church, at the corner of Main and Church streets, was erected in 1830. The St. James Episcopal, is a granite structure on West Street, completed in 1864. The Methodist, Second Congregational and Baptist are located on Court street. The first two were built in 1869 and the last in 1874. The Bethany Mission building (originally the Methodist house of worship) was remodeled in 1889, and is now located on Vernon street, corner of Elm, and the Catholic is on Marlboro street."
Keene Public Library
No known restriction on publication.